Developed in conjunction with Joomla extensions.


RAI Advocacy: Sign-board / Name-board in Karnataka

User Rating: 3 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) had recently issued a circular which mandated that the name boards of shops/ establishments have to be displayed in the Kannada language with 60% of the display board in Kannada language and remaining 40% of the board can be in other languages. It further provided that if any business/ person/establishment fails to abide by this rule or violates this condition, the licenses of such establishment will be canceled. BBMP issued another circular dated 30.07.2018 which reiterated the aforesaid language requirements and directed implementation thereof.

Subsequently, RAI submitted a representation to the Karnataka Government that implementation of the circulars is beyond the powers and purview of BBMP. Click here to view the representation.

Furthermore, RAI has filed a Writ Petition in the Karnataka High Court challenging the BBMP circular as being illegal, void ab initio and ultra vires the Karnataka Municipal Corporations Act 1976.

Search by Topic

Contact Us

Retailers Association of India (RAI)
111/112, Ascot Centre, Near Hotel ITC Maratha, Sahar Road, Sahar,
Andheri (E), Mumbai - 400099.
Tel : +91 22 28269527 - 29
Fax : +91 22 28269536,
CIN: U91990MH2005GAP151959

About Us

Retailers Association of India (RAI) is the unified voice of retailers in India. A not for profit organization, RAI works with all  stakeholders for creating the right environment for the growth of modern retail industry in India.  Read More.

Follow Us
News, Analysis, Insights, Jobs, Delivered to your inbox.